Irrespective of vast reasons like a need to continually shifting place, or may be of financial goal, or never found their dream home, a person becomes a tenant and reside in a rented house.
But, with rents rising at a sky-rocket pace, isn’t the government is doing anything to provide comfort for rented people. Are all tax benefit schemes are only for house owners and not for tenants? To solve this issue, HRA had been introduced.
What is HRA?
House Rent Allowance, i.e. HRA, is a share of the salary that is contributed by the employer to employee. Adhere to the increased costs of the rented houses; employers pay HRA to the employees. The main reason for HRA is, every year it helps employees with tax benefits for the accommodations.
It depends on the various reasons like the amount of salary received and the residing city of the employee. Only salaried persons can avail the benefits and not the self-employed people. To utilise the benefits employees mustn’t possess their house in which they live in and must pay rent.
Who Are Qualified for House Rent Income Tax?
Any salaried of self-employed person can avail the benefits. But, for each category, a specific set of guidelines are involved.
How to Calculate HRA?
Let’s consider that a person is living in a metropolitan city with a basic pay of Rs 50,000 Per Month. As per this, the HRA will be 25,000 as it is a metropolitan city. But if they pay an actual rent of Rs 20,000 then,
Actual HRA per year will be Rs 25,000 X 12 = Rs 3,00,000
Actual rent paid (Rs 20,000 X 12 = Rs 2,40,000) – 10% of salary (Rs 60,000) = Rs 1,80,000 50% of basic salary [(Rs 50,000 X 12) X 50%] = Rs 3,00,000
Considering the least amount, 1,80,000 will be exempted from the income tax.
Income Tax Benefits for Salaried Persons
Under Section 10 (13A) of the Income Tax Act, any salaried person that receives HRA from their employers is entitled to fulfil certain conditions to enjoy house rent income tax benefits. Anyone who qualifies these standards are only liable and come under this category.
The foremost one is actually to stay at a rented house. It must be in the same city as of your current employment. You shouldn’t be the owner or the partial owner of the house and should live in a residential home and must pay rent. It shouldn’t be like you are a co-owner, you pay rent to the partner or you should lease your property to your employer, which in turn he pays you the amount as your rent.
How Income Tax Exemption On HRA Is Calculated?
For a salaried person, the income tax exemption is calculated as the least of the following,
House Rent Allowance received by the employer.
If the employee stays in metropolitan cities than 50% of the salary is considered
40% of the salary is considered if the employee resides in other than in cosmopolitan cities.
Actually paid rent is reduced by 10% of the salary
Based on the above points, the salary is calculated. If in any case, the employee paid rent doesn’t exceed by 10% of the salary, then no HRAtax exemption will be given.
House Rent Income Tax Benefits for Self-Employed
What if an employee doesn’t receive HRA from their employer or they are self-employed? Government has levied tax benefits for all under certain conditions. Under Section 80GG of the Income Tax Act, a self-employed or employees who don't receive HRA from their employers can enjoy tax benefits.
A person can claim a maximum tax deduction of Rs 60,000 PA or Rs 5,000 PM. The tax deduction is done on the total income and is limited to 25% of the total income, or actually paid rent is reduced by 10% of the salary.
In such a case, you are subjected to certain liabilities like one can’t claim house rent tax benefits even if their spouse or their child has own accommodation in the same area. Even if their owned property is let-out, they cannot claim the benefits. And if you own a property at any other place and is declared as self- then also it doesn't fulfil these criteria.
Are you interested to know more about the latest real estate news? Browse our online portal at www.propertyadviser.in for more updated information.
Subscribe to Our NewsletterGet Notified About Latest News
- How To Calculate Property Registration Charges & Stamp Duty In Hyderabad
- Importance Of GHMC Property Tax For Hyderabad Residential Properties
- GHMC Building Permission Charges And Procedure In Hyderabad
- Best Real Estate Investment Options In Hyderabad Telangana
- Latest Property & Land Rates In Hyderabad 2018
- Steps To Make GHMC Property Tax Online Payment In Hyderabad
- RERA And Its Rules In Telangana
- Stamp Duty And Registration Charges In Hyderabad
- Procedure To Get Encumbrance Certificate Through Online In Telangana
- World’s Mightiest Amazon Campus Launching in Hyderabad
- New RBI Regulation: Housing Finance Companies to Consider as NBFCs
- 5 Tips on Space Management in Small Houses
- NCLT to Resolve Queries of Homebuyers against Builders Scams
- Property Rights of a Woman After Divorce [2019 Updated]
- Does Article 370 & 35A Revocation Opened Doors for J&K Real Estate Sector?
- Is New Age Design Shaping the Interface of Real Estate Sector?
- Property Transfer Procedure: All Important Things To Know About it!
- Need of Technology in Real Estate Sector