The property is transferred from one person to another legally only when it is registered at the Sub-Registrar Office by paying stamp duty and registration charges.
For example, if you want to buy an apartment in hyderabad for Rs 1 cr from Mr X. You pay the transaction value to Mr X, and then he executes a sale deed.
Then, you must register the sale deed by paying charges of stamps and registration in Telangana Sub-Registrar’s Office.
Once you pay the stamp duty and Telangana land/property registration charges, the transaction is recorded in the Sub-Registrar Office, and you will become the legal owner of the property.
You need Encumbrance Certificate EC when you want to buy an independent house in hyderabad by applying for a loan or sell a house. Click here to know the procedure to obtain IGRS Telangana EC (Encumbrance Certificate).
What is Stamp Duty?
- Stamp Duty is collected whenever there is a transfer of assets or property from one person to another.
- It is collected by the State government and is governed under the Indian Stamp Act 1899.
- As the State government collects it, the stamp duty varies from one state to another.
In Hyderabad, the stamp duty includes stamp duty, registration charge/fee plus transfer duty and is a calculated on IGRS Telangana market value of the property.
Why do You Have to Pay Stamp Duty?
It is mandatory to register the sale or transfer of property, and at the time of recording the transfer, you must pay the stamp duty and registration charges.
The stamp duty paid and Telangana land/property registration documents online is a legal document that proves that you are the owner of the property and is accepted as evidence in case of property disputes.
Also, in case you lose the original sale deed or transfer deed, you can get a duplicate transfer deed from the Sub-Registrar’s office that shows that you are the owner of the property.
When to Pay Stamp Duty and Property Registration Charges in Hyderabad
You must pay stamp duty and registration charges at the time of execution of a transfer agreement such as sale deed between two parties.
You can also pay the registration charges through IGRS Telangana e-challan / e- STAMPS (For Document Registration only).
Some deed details in Telangana of transfer agreements (mainly concerning property) that require payment of stamp duty and registration charges are as follows:
- Sale Deed
- Gift Deed
- Exchange Deed
- Partition Deed
- Lease Deed where the period of lease is more than 12 months
- Transfer Deed/ Right Transfer Document
- Mortgage Deed
- Power of Attorney (General or Special)
Know How to Calculate Property Registration and Stamp Duty charges in Hyderabad
The stamp duty calculator is used to calculate the stamp duty and registration charges.
The stamp duty varies from one state to another.
To calculate the stamp duty and registration charges manually, you can use the formula given below:
Stamp Duty is 4% of property value,
Where property value is (Higher of Ready Reckoner Rate or Actual Transaction Value)
Ready Reckoner Rate is the minimum value of the property that is fixed by the state government. And, stamp duty is calculated as the higher of ready reckoner rate or actual transaction value.
Registration Charges is 0.5% of the property value.
And, the transfer duty is 1.5% of the property value.
Let’s look at some examples below:
Case 1: If the Ready Reckoner Rate is Rs 1 cr and the Actual Transaction Value is Rs 1.5 cr, then stamp duty @4% is calculated as
Stamp Duty = 4% of (Higher of Ready Reckoner Rate or Actual Transaction Value) i.e. 4% of (Higher of Rs 1 cr or Rs 1.5 cr) = 0.04 * 1.5 cr = Rs 6 lakhs
Registration charge @0.5% of (Higher of Ready Reckoner Rate or Actual Transaction Value) i.e. 0.5% of (Higher of Rs 1 cr or Rs 1.5 cr) =0.005 * 1.5 cr = Rs 75,000
Transfer duty @1.5% of (Higher of Ready Reckoner Rate or Actual Transaction Value) i.e. 1.5% of (Higher of Rs 1 cr or Rs 1.5 cr) =0.015 * 1.5 cr = Rs 2,25,000
Therefore the total amount that the buyer needs to pay =
Actual Transaction Value = Rs 1.5 cr
Stamp Duty = Rs 6 lakhs
Registration Charge = Rs 75,000
Transfer Duty = Rs 2,25,000
Total Amount Payable = 1.5 cr + 6 lakhs + 75000 + 2,25,000 = Rs 1.59 cr
Case 2: If the Ready Reckoner Rate is Rs 1 cr and the Actual Transaction Value is Rs 70 lakhs, then stamp duty @4% is calculated as
Stamp Duty = 4% of (Higher of Ready Reckoner Rate or Actual Transaction Value) i.e. 4% (Higher of Rs 1 cr or Rs 70 lakhs) = 0.04 * 1 cr = Rs 4 lakhs
Registration charge @0.5% of (Higher of Ready Reckoner Rate or Actual Transaction Value) i.e. 0.5% of (Higher of Rs 1 cr or Rs 70 lakhs) =0.005 * 1 cr = Rs 50,000
Transfer duty @1.5% of (Higher of Ready Reckoner Rate or Actual Transaction Value) i.e. 1.5% of (Higher of Rs 1 cr or Rs 70 lakhs) =0.015 * 1 cr = Rs 1,50,000
Therefore the total amount that the buyer needs to pay =
Actual Transaction Value = Rs 1 cr
Stamp Duty = Rs 4 lakhs
Registration Charges = Rs 50,000
Transfer Duty = Rs 1,50,000
Total Amount Payable = 1.5 cr + 4 lakhs + 50,000 + 1,50,000 = Rs 1.56 cr.
Important Factors that Influence the Calculation of Stamp Duty Charges in Hyderabad
Stamp duty varies based on the following factors:
Location of the property: A property located in an urban area attracts more stamp duty compared to one found in a rural area.
Type of property: Lower stamp duty is charged for a residential property (flat/apartment) compared to a commercial property(industries/ commercial complex/ hotels).
Age of the property: A new property attracts more stamp duty than an older property.
Gender of the buyer: A female buyer gets a rebate on the stamp duty.
Age of the buyer: A senior citizen also gets a rebate on the stamp duty.
We bring you the latest news and articles related to Hyderabad’s real estate sector. Log in to www.propertyadviser.in for more details.
Subscribe to Our NewsletterGet Notified About Latest News
- How To Calculate Property Registration Charges & Stamp Duty In Hyderabad
- Importance Of GHMC Property Tax For Hyderabad Residential Properties
- GHMC Building Permission Charges And Procedure In Hyderabad
- Best Real Estate Investment Options In Hyderabad Telangana
- Latest Property & Land Rates In Hyderabad 2018
- Steps To Make GHMC Property Tax Online Payment In Hyderabad
- RERA And Its Rules In Telangana
- Stamp Duty And Registration Charges In Hyderabad
- Procedure To Get Encumbrance Certificate Through Online In Telangana
- Spacious but Affordable Residential Properties for Sale in Sainikpuri
- New Properties in Alwal with Stylish and Quality Facilities
- Choose The Right Colors According To Vastu For Happy Home
- The Most Important Vastu Factors To Be Considered While Buying A Home
- Innovative Storage Solutions For Your Home
- 20 Vastu Tips to Invite Health and Wealth in 2019
- 2BHK /3BHK Luxurious Flats for Sale in Nagole, Hyderabad
- Spacious 2BHK Apartments For Sale In Kukatpally Below 50 Lakhs
- Difference between Interior Design and Interior Decoration