Hyderabad is one of the suburb cities with excellent infrastructure developments and affordable housing. Adding to this, we also have many sporting spectacles making the country proud with their accolades at the international level.
Here is the list of top sports celebrities from Hyderabad, who have made the country proud with their spectacular performances.
P V SINDHU
- Pusarla Venkata Sindhu is an excellent Indian badminton player.
- P V Sindhu is the first woman in India to win an Olympic silver medal.
- She also won a silver medal in Women's singles at Commonwealth Games 2018.
- She is the first Indian to win a gold medal at BWF World Tour Finals and it is the great victory to Sindhu at the end of the year 2018.
We also have more spectacular badminton players from Hyderabad include
Parupalli Kashyap is one of the excellent badminton players and was awarded the Arjuna Award by Government of India in 2012.
Srikanth Kidambi is also an Indian badminton player. He was awarded the Padma Shri - India's fourth highest civilian award in 2018.
Jwala Gutta is a left-handed Indian badminton player. The Indian Government awarded her the Arjuna award in 2011, India's second highest sporting honour for her achievements as a badminton player.
Ashwini Ponnappa Machimanda is an Indian badminton player. She won many medals in international events including a gold medal at the Commonwealth Games and bronze medals at the Uber Cup and the Asian Badminton Championships.
- Sania Mirza is a professional tennis player in India.
- She was the first Indian woman ranked by the WTA as India's No. 1 player.
- She also won six Grand Slam titles in her career.
- Saina Nehwal is a world’s no.1 badminton player.
- She has won a total of 23 international titles, which include ten Superseries titles.
- Nehwal was the first Indian female and the youngest Asian to win a 4-star tournament.
- Mohammad Azharuddin is a captain of the Indian cricket team.
- He was most delightful batsmen to watch and a superb fielder to boot.
- He is one of the best batsmen and made Indian cricket team to great heights and success.
We have excellent cricketers from Hyderabad include V.V.S Laxman (an tremendous Indian cricketer and currently a cricket commentator), C.K Naidu ( Indian cricket team captain), Gulam Ahmed (Indian Test Player), Abbas Ali Baig, Noel David, M.L. Jaisimha, Syed Mohammed Hadi, Syed Abid Ali, Shivlal Yadav, Arshyad Ayub, Pragyan Ojha, Venkatapathy Raju, and Tirumalasetti Suman.
- Pullela Gopichand is a former badminton player and a Chief National Coach for the Indian Badminton team.
- He received the Arjuna Award in 1999, the Dronacharya Award in 2009 and the Padma Bhushan – India's third highest civilian award on 2014.
- Gagan Narang is an Indian Rifle shooter and a gold medalist in the Afro Asian Games in Hyderabad.
- Narang added more 4 Gold medals to the Indian tally at the 2010 Commonwealth Games in New Delhi.
- Narang was conferred with the Padma Shree Award in 2011. He was the first Indian to qualify for the London Olympics.
List OF SPORTS AWARDS IN INDIA:
- Arjuna Award for Best Indian Sports Persons.
- The Best Indian Coach is presented with the Dronacharya Award.
- The Rajiv Gandhi Khel Ratna Award honours the best performance by a sports person or sports team in a year.
SPORTS INFRASTRUCTURE FACILITIES IN HYDERABAD
- The Rajiv Gandhi International cricket stadium in Uppal, Hyderabad is the first international cricket stadium in the state.
- The other stadiums and sports complexes in Hyderabad include G. M. C. Balayogi Athletic Stadium, Gachibowli Athletic Stadium, Gachibowli Indoor Stadium, Swarnandhra Pradesh Sports Complex, etc.
The government has planned several measures to improve sports facilities in the state and support the athletes.
So, with the availability of resources, lifestyle and cosmopolitan culture, Hyderabad has become the most dynamic city with developed infrastructure.
By: Shailaja K